Late at night a few days ago I was unable to fall asleep, so I resorted to turning on my T.V. and watching what was almost unavoidable... Infomercials!
I was excited about this one product. I was trying to read the expressions and watch very closely to see if it was possible for this item to do these things. I knew some examples I was shown were completely ridiculous and were over done. However; some of the things this cleaner could do I was truly hoping were true.
Now I have ordered off T.V. before some things have worked, but most of the time it's been completely over promised or doesn't perform. I know this has caused a defense mechanism to go up around most people, causing them to be skeptical or completely unapproachable.
I really was this way growing up. I had been taught if it sounds to good to be true then it probably is. And in most cases the result is thus, so when I was taught the gospel of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints by missionaries I couldn't help (at first) to default to those defenses.
I was honestly overwhelmed , because growing up not even knowing who Jesus is or much about God made it so it was a lot to hear, but I remember believing it. Maybe not fully at first, but for some reason I knew I needed to keep coming to the discussions.
My family was against it. They were worried for me. I was only seventeen and a lot was going on in my family. However; I remember getting there.
When the missionaries asked me if I was interested in getting baptized, I was so overwhelmed because it seemed like the right choice, but being only a teenager I worried if my parents would approve let alone allow me to.
My parents after protests agreed to let me be baptized. When I was, I remember feeling like I was beaming with happiness. I really feel like that was one day of a very special few that I will never forget.
Since then I have been shown by Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ through the Holy Ghost that this is Jesus Christ's Church.
The principles he teaches will bring you pure joy if you yield to them. I have been shown miracles. I have felt his love and mercy, and through these experiences I truly unconditionally believe the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is what we are meant to be apart of and these are the things that we must know and do.
It makes me so sad to think that the lies and deceptions of the world might create something in people to make them skeptical or unapproachable about the gospel. This gospel is a gift from God and Satan is doing a great job at stirring us up and keeping some from excepting that gift.
There are no risks you either do the things your taught in the scriptures or not, but the blessings received when I follow Christ's example and do the things he has asked of me are unmeasurable. I personally have so much still to learn. I have many faults. I hope to be what Heavenly Father needs me to be, but I am so grateful for the knowledge that I should read my scriptures when I'm down, stressed or confused. Pray when I need help understanding, comfort, or just to express gratitude. I am thankful to have been taught to stay away from harmful substances which impair my reception of the Holy Spirit, or harm my body.
There are a few things I hold truly dear in this world and the Gift of the Holy Ghost is one of them. Without the confirmation of the Holy Ghost I might be lost. The feeling I get when something is righteous and true and the feeling I get when something is not, is a warning system that I daily strive to be more receptive to. I know I can have a stronger relationship with Christ and that the more I learn and the more I live in Christ's example. The stronger the Holy Ghost becomes. I know this to be true because I have seen this develop over time for me. If I am to even get close to ever being like Christ I know it will take a lifetime of experiences and hard trials in which my focus is kept unmovable on Christ.
Sunday, September 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment